Story Sharing 101
The coolest thing about sharing your story is that it's yours. You know it better than anyone else. Just be yourself, relax, and tell us your truth! #shareyourstory
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission to amplify the voices of LGBTQ people. We're building the largest library of coming-out stories anywhere in the world, and it won't be complete without you! The video stories in the VideoOut library are wielded as powerful tools for advocacy, awareness, and education. #socialchange
We review every story before it is posted publicly. After that, we add it to the library and share it on social media (if you want us to tag you, please send us your handles!). #iwanttheworldtoknow
You own your story — we’re just celebrating it. If you ever want us to take it down, just send us a note at email@example.com. To prevent nefarious requests, we ask for some proof of identity (send us a photo of yourself holding a piece of paper that says the date and “VideoOut, Please Remove”). #mystoryismine
If something is wrong with your video or information, we'll help! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're press, contact email@example.com.
There's no right or wrong way to share your story. After all, it's your story and you should tell it your way. That said, sometimes it's nice to have an example. So far, VideoOut has recorded 200 stories, and you can watch all of them. #VideoOutAndChill
the start of something big
Above is the first video we ever made to announce VideoOut's library of stories. We have traveled across the United States, successfully completed 20 events, and have reached over a million people. We are changing the world, one story at a time, and we can't wait for you to join us. #VideoOut #JoinIn
TIPS AND TRICKS
Don’t worry about anything, just be yourself! There are no rules, but if helpful — most stories focus on who you are and your coming-out experience.
- Frame your face. It's what we all want to see, and you know it!
- Don’t be backlit. We want to highlight you, not your shadow. Find your spotlight and stand in it.
- Unless it's relevant to the story, you don't need to shout. But you do need to speak up! Talk to the camera like we’re sitting right behind it so that we're sure to hear your story - every single word of it.
- The most important thing is to speak from your heart. #tellyourtruth
- Try not to write anything down. Imagine you are having a conversation with the camera and it asked you, "who are you?" Then, imagine that it asks who you came out to, how it made you feel, how it was received, how you feel about the LGBTQ community.
- There's no limit to what you can share. Just be open and honest, and the rest will happen naturally.
- Send us the video directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or via a link.
- The easiest way may be to upload it to a site we can download from (YouTube, WeTransfer.com, dropbox, etc.). We’re working on an easier way, so bear with us. #pardonourprogress
- Make sure to include your name how you want it to appear on the video. Some people use their first and last name, and some only use their first.
- Also, tell us what city, state, and country you're from (this will not be public). We'd love to let you know if we'll be in your area. #VideoOutTour
- Where can we find you? Include your social media handles (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and we'll tag you when we post your video. #likefollowshare